Cost to Ship a Car
04 20, 2011
Keep in mind that the cost to ship a car might be influenced by the value of your car.
Most car shipping companies calculate the cost to ship a car based on the vehicle’s size, intended destination, and the time of the year that the car is being shipped. Nevertheless, there are quite a few other factors that come into play that can affect the cost to ship a car as well.
- Drop off and pick up locations. Having your vehicle dropped off and picked up right in your driveway may sound convenient, but door-to-door shipping may increase the cost to ship a car when it is opted for. When you want to keep your auto shipping costs low, consider having your vehicle picked up and dropped off at an car shipping terminal instead of at your front door.
- Transport method. One factor that can greatly affect the cost to ship a car is the desired method of auto transport. In most cases, it will cost less to ship a car on an open hauler than it would cost to ship that same car in an enclosed trailer. On the other hand, if you have a high-end or collectible automobile that you need to ship, open hauler transport is not recommended.
- Origination and destination locations. Where a vehicle is picked up and delivered is one of the most important factors that will affect the cost to ship a car. Picking up and dropping off a vehicle in a major metropolitan city will generally cost less than a having a vehicle picked up and dropped off in a remote location.
- Desired shipping dates. The cost to ship a vehicle during the wintertime will be lower than shipping that same car during the summertime. June through September are very busy months for auto transport companies, so the cost to ship a car during that time will no doubt be more expensive than if you were to ship it during the months of November and February
- Shipping a non-operational vehicle. Many auto transport companies will increase the cost to ship a car if it is non-operational. When obtaining quotes from various auto shippers, it is important to let them know that the car you need to transport is not running. Doing so will ensure that you know upfront what your cost to ship a car that is non-operational will be.
- Discounts. Some automobile transport companies offer discounts for military personnel, students, and customers that are shipping more than one car with the company. If you want to lower your cost to ship a car, it is recommended that you inquire about discounts when you obtain quotes from potential auto transport companies.